Tuesday, October 28, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books and Characters for Halloween


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where, each week, a Top Ten list is posted based on a particular topic.


Hi there Misfit Booknerds! I'm a sissy. If you have been following my blog and what goes on in it, you'd know that I am easily terrified of reading scary stories and I'm easily shaken if they have pictures and stuff. Yeah.. A sissy. But I will recommend five books that might just get you in the Halloween spirit. And then five of my favorite characters I'd want to dress up as on Halloween!


BOOKS TO READ

1. Carrie by Stephen King

A quintessential Stephen King read is Carrie which is his debut novel that has put Stephen King on the map! It is the story of a young girl named Carrie who is an outcast at school. Her mother has been overprotecting her and been influencing her in the teachings of the world. Carrie, however, wants to experience how it is to be a normal young teenager but experiencing her first period doesn't help with her situation and everyone bullies her at school. Carrie becomes more of an outcast but learns that she has telekinesis. A tragedy at school prom pushes her on the edge, making this book one of the best horror/thriller books ever. The movie also brought out the best out of Carrie's story. (I'm talking about the 1976 film okay? The new one just didn't cut it. Sorry Chloe and Ansel)


2. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman is one amazing story teller, and in fact, one of my favorites! The Graveyard Book is one of his classic books published telling the story of Nobody "Bod" Owens as he lives with ghosts in a graveyard after his parents were murdered by the man Jack. He is then pursued by the man Jack to finish what he had started, and the ghosts in the graveyard won't let anything happen to Bod and decide to protect him. The story is filled with unique and amazing characters that will melt your heart but also give you the spook that you need for Halloween! It's also a perfect Halloween read for the kids!






Equipped with haunting black and white photos, Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children tells the story of Jacob Portman as he meets children with peculiar abilities and powers. He must help them get away from the hollows that are trying to destroy their time loop in order to get rid of the peculiar children. Jacob, along with the other children try to save their time loop while also finding out about the secrets that lie in his grandpa's past. Ransom Riggs was able to bring out a humor and a definite scare in his novel with his story as well as with the photos he used. Read Hollow City as soon as you finish it.


4. The Shining by Stephen King

Another Stephen King novel, I haven't actually read The Shining yet, however, I do have a friend who has been pushing me to read it. I have seen a little bit of the film, which I regret, not because it was bad, but because it is terrifically terrifying! I had to hide under my blanket, seriously. It tells the story of Jack Torrance who accepted a caretaking position of a hotel where he takes his wife and son, Johnny who has the "shining", an ability to see the supernatural beings living in the hotel. These supernaturals cause a break in Jack's sanity and thus, causing a risk to his family.



5. The Silence of The Lambs by Thomas Harris

If you aren't scared of Hannibal Lecter, in any degree, then I don't even think you are human. I have read Silence of The Lambs, never finished out of fear of being eaten by a novel. I was that scared. The movie wasn't any different causing spasms and a nervous breakdown from my body. If you don't know who Hannibal Lecter is, I have one word for you. CANNIBAL. HAHAHA! Pun, but seriously. If you have the guts to read it, then I really recommend it but read Red Dragon, which is the first, that I finished and was great as well!


HALLOWEEN DRESS-UP

1. Adelina Amouteru from The Young Elites by Marie Lu


Seems impossible really, Adelina is becoming one of my faves, mostly because of her look and also coz steampunk. DUUUH! HAHAHA! 


2. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Sport a leather jacket or a hunting jacket, some black jeans, braid your hair to the side and put on some barely there make-up, and you got yourself Katniss Everdeen, somehow. You can make your own bow and arrow or go to a kids' store then spray paint a toy black.


3. Luna Lovegood from The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling


Now I know most girls would go with Hermione Granger, which is fine, honestly, I would love to, but dressing up as cute and a little loony, Luna Lovegood seems befitting for Halloween. Find a uniform, a wand, a blonde wig if you ain't blonde and then take out some funny shoes and those classic glasses!

4. R from Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


Easy enough to mess yourself up with make-up, cake yourself white and walk like a total zombie will surely make a Halloween more halloween-y!, yes? Plus R is so hot, so guys, don't hesitate to dress up as him.


5. Sherlock Holmes from Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


I know, I know. This is BBC's Sherlock, but it is a lot easier to put on a sexy purple shirt, pants, an amazing coat and a sweater that just accentuates your face. Plus, please, SHERLOCK!??? No matter if it's the classic Sherlock or BBC Sherlock, Sherlock is still SHERLOCK! Sorry, I'm quite obsessed with him.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...