Sunday, June 15, 2014

MOVIE REVIEW: The Fault In Our Stars

It's been quite a while since I went to the theater to watch a movie and with a friend. So Sunday, June 8th, my best friend and I finally decided to watch The Fault In Our Stars after much delay. Here's what I thought about it.
(If you want to read my review for the book first, then here it is)


Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Directed by: Josh Boone
Screenplay: Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber
Cast: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Nat Wolff, Laura Dern, Sam Trammell, David Whalen, Milica Govich, Lotte Verbick and Willem Dafoe
Based on: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Producers: Marty Bowen, Wyck Godfrey
Cinematography: Ben Richardson
Music: Mike Mogis, Nate Walcott, Atlantic Records (Soundtrack)
Edited by: Robb Sullivan
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox
See full list of cast and crew

SYNOPSIS:
Hazel and Gus are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them - and us - on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, based upon the number-one bestselling novel by John Green, explores the funny, thrilling and tragic business of being alive and in love. (c) FOX

Misfit Review:
*Photos credited to 20th Century Fox, Rotten Tomatoes and Page To Premiere

My feelings are alright after seeing the movie. In fact, I loved it, cried to it, thought my life was over and basically became a total wreck while listening to All I Want and All of The Stars but I did not go out the theater asking why I exist or crying my eyes out towards my best friend. The movie made me hopeful. It made me hopeful that Young Adult adaptations can actually be awesome. We'll go to that later. Let's talk about the treatment.


I really do love films, and when the screenplay, written by my two favorites Scott Neustadter and Michael  H. Weber, actually works, it turns out as a one giant ball of miracle! The Fault In Our Stars movie stays true to the story line of the book with Hazel Grace Lancaster going to a support group where she meets Augustus Waters, become friends, journey to Amsterdam and be there for each other through their pains. I was glad that there were no twists that happened, though for someone who has read the book, that could've been exciting, but it's what John Green wanted. Just the story.



Shailene Woodley, one of my favorites, plays the spunky, cancer striken 16 year old Hazel, who walks around with an oxygen tank and a cannula between her nose so she could breathe. Hazel is a realist and believes that the truth should never be sugar coated. It's something that is inevitable. What I loved about Shailene's portrayal is that it is honest and lax. She portrays her with so much honesty and resilience, she could really be Hazel. She passes as a really witty 16 year old who looks like she has her life together but she can't. And her eyes. Damn! They always look like they are gonna tear up any second. It's just so freakin' natural.



Ansel Elgort, damn you! You are a perfect Augustus Waters. He's portrayed the character from the book so vibrantly, that it felt like I wasn't even watching because it's Ansel Elgort, but because it's Augustus Waters. He's very charming and electrifying. You can't help but just look at him, with that goofy smile plastered in his face, and smile too, all too unconsciously. It has the power.



Nat Wollf did a fantastic job as Isaac! However, I felt like his character in the book was more stretched than it was here. But seeing Nat Wollf bring Isaac to life with his wittiness and inherent humor, was fun and totally worth the times I stared at him.



Willem Dafoe, Laura Dern, Sam Trammell and the other cast members did such a fantastic job holding their own and making it seem like they really popped out from the book.

Josh Boone, in his own made a real big career move for doing this movie. It has such a strong following. Doing something that the fans won't like is asking them to put a gun over your head, but Josh was able to deliver.

I understand that there were so many scenes from the book that had to be cut because they worked on such a tight budget. I was kind of disappointed to be honest that the film happened in 2 hours but it felt so rushed. I guess that's one disadvantage of reading the book than seeing it.

The soundtrack, dear sweet cheesus is fantastic!!! I love wide array of artists, from Ed Sheeran, Jake Bugg, Kodaline, Charli XCX to Birdy, Grouplove and the infectious duo Afasi and Filthy, whose song Bomfalleralla will forever be part of my very being.

The cinematography was spectacular! Every imagery that my eyes grasped were marvelous and I wasn't even watching with my glasses! (I sorta lost them..Ooops).

All in all, the film was wonderfully crafted, tear worthy and definitely worth my money. Would I see it again? Maybe. I don't wanna watch it with friends. It's weird to watch it with people that I can't cry in front of. It's awkward. LOL!



This is the part where I share my thoughts on the ending and what alternates I could've wanted.

REACTIVATE ALTERNATE ENDING POWERS!
*spoilers may be induced


I'm very happy with the ending! They gave out the eulogy and all that, I guess they wanted to make people pity Van Houten in a way. But it would've been amazing to see Hazel look for the eulogy in Gus' room. The moment where she lies down Gus' bed and.. UGH! GOSH! Sorry! 

I wish they included the line, "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations." I love it so much.

But nonetheless the ending is still very true to the novel and I'm happy that they stuck to it! It's sad but it makes me really hopeful that The Fault In Our Stars brings forth happiness and also a realization that life is short, so live it amazingly.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...